Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Word With Ciara L. Anderson


“When you think you have been through something…someone else has been through worse.” Those are the words found on one of the pages of “Drowning in a Mother’s Womb,” a true story that chronicles the life of a young woman name Ciara L. Anderson. As a child, Ciara was verbally and physically abused. She was raped, and at age 18, Ciara attempted to end it all. Despite the fact that “Drowning in a Mother’s Womb focuses on some of the darkest days in Ciara’s life; Ciara’s life today can be an inspiration to others. Go on the journey with me as I have a word with author and Ceo of Loyal Publishing, Ciara L. Anderson.

Onetta: “Drowning in a Mother’s Womb” begins with you being hospitalized after your failed suicide attempt at age 18. Throughout the book, you seemed so strong, even though you faced so many obstacles. What was the breaking point for you? Why did you try to end your life?

Ciara: I can’t say that there was a breaking point. The day that I decided to end my life was a day that was like any other day with my mother, except the fact that I was 18 and living on my own. The day I tried to commit suicide I was tired. It wasn’t any particular incident that triggered my suicide attempt. Everything that I had been through had taken a toll on me. I wanted to end my life because I felt as if that was the only way to escape from my mother.

Onetta: Have you made peace with yourself regarding that issue?

Ciara: Regarding suicide…..yea.

Onetta: It was hard for me to not be judgmental of your mother while reading your book. I felt that she cared more about trying to keep a man that wasn’t worth being kept. I have seen women in my life that chase after no-good men while neglecting their own children. What would you say to women who do that?

Ciara: Well…..I wouldn’t exactly classify them as “women.” I don’t want to get too deep, but the women who that, need to do some deep searching within them selves.

Onetta: Your grandparents, your mother’s parents, seemed so caring and loving, but you mother seemed to be at the other end of the spectrum. She was verbally and physically abusive towards you. Why do you think she was that way?

Ciara: I ask myself that all of the time and still haven’t came up with an answer, LOL…..

Onetta: I commend you for being very open and honest in your book. You had to revisit the moment that you were rape. How old were you when you were rape? Was it hard writing about that?

Ciara: I was 13 years old. If I compared being rape to everything else I wrote about in my book, then being raped was like a breeze. That may seem modest, but honestly, nothing hurt me more than my mother. I needed my mother more than anything and once she had forsaken me, nothing else mattered.

Onetta: After you were rape, you didn’t tell a soul. Why did you keep that a secret?

Ciara: Mainly because the man who raped me threatened to harm my baby sister.

Onetta: It took me about a couple of days to read your book. I was trying to finish it to see how things would end. There are some unanswered questions, so this makes me think that there will be another book to follow. If this is the case, can you give me some details about the next book?

Ciara: This is a 3 part book. The 2nd book is “Potentially Ruined.” Potentially Ruined picks up with me in handcuffs. After dealing with a failed suicide attempt and incarceration, I turned to the streets for love and affection, but it was the wrong type of love and affection that lead me to……………

Onetta: You are now living in Atlanta and you have dedicated your life to working with underprivileged youth in your community. How important was it for you to do that?

Ciara: Very important! I feel like I owe every child my hand to hold, my ear to listen, and my heart to love. Children are often overlooked because “they don’t look like anything is wrong” and/or adults think children can write off their pain.

Onetta: Tell me a little more about how your life is today.

Ciara: Mentoring children, writing, mentoring children, writing…..that’s all I’m doing. I will continue to write nonfiction stories. In every book, there will be a “moral to the story.” My focus is to help the world.

Onetta; Ciara, I find your story such an inspiration because despite all the difficult situations you have been through, you were able to move your life forward in a positive way. How were you able to do it? What advice would you like to leave the readers with?

Ciara: It was only by the grace of God. All I want is for people to realize how much of an impact they have on a child’s life. This is only a suggestion, but adults need to start realizing their self worth and learn to love themselves. I promise, if we can get past that aspect of life, life would be a lot better.

To learn more about Ciara L. Anderson, visit www.myspace.com/loyalpublishing .
You can purchase “Drowning in a Mother’s Womb” by visiting www.loyalpublishing.org .

No comments: