Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Queen Latifah


Queen Latifah graces the cover of the July issue of Essence magazine. Inside the issue, Queen Latifah talks candidly about her life, gives details about her new album, and even shares with Essence readers the secret that she kept to herself until she was 22-years-old. Here’s what Queen Latifah told Essence.

About her seventh studio album, Persona, which is being released independently,
“I think this is my best album since Black Reign. It’s hip-hop, it’s rock, it’s dance, it’s hood-gospel, and I brought it all under one roof, with my spirit.”

About rumors of being gay,
“They want to make up stories and make me gay all the time and it’s like, ‘Keep running with it.’ I‘ve definitely been annoyed by it, but I learned a long time ago that it was pointless to say anything. Everybody else can do the reading; I’ll do the living.”

On the possibility of having children,
“I’m not even going to touch that subject. I know I’m running late, but I’m trying. I’m trying.”

The secret she kept until she was 22-years-old,
He violated me. I never told anybody; I just buried it as deeply as I could and kept people at an arm’s distance. Queen Latifah referring to the teenager who sexually abused her as a child.

To read more of Essence's interview with Queen Latifah, pick up your copy of the July issue of Essence magazine.

Queen Latifah’s new album, Persona, is expected to be released on July 7th.

No comments: