Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Question Of The Day

What can we do to ensure that our children obtain the education they deserve? You know, sometimes I get frustrated because I am aware of the many injustices within our society and feel so helpless to do anything about it. I am an advocate of education. I just know that with a good education, boundaries are lifted, opportunities are more promising, and the future looks a little brighter. There’s no argument that more resources and funds are needed for our schools, but I think that our expectations for our children needs to be raised as well. I’m not sure when the pinnacle moment occurred where we lowered the expectations for our children. When I was growing up, I was expected to go to school, I was expected to do my homework, I was expected to read every night, I was expected to graduate from the 8th grade and I was expected to graduate from high school and go on to college. According to an article from the Chicago Tribune by Carlos Sadovi, nearly half of the freshmen in “Chicago Public Schools” drop out before they graduate. This news is disheartening because you know that this fact contributes to a path to nowhere. When we start expecting more from our children, then maybe as a whole, we will be more vocal about the governments financially responsibility to our schools. Think about it!

No comments: