Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Word For My Sistas

Growing up, I always knew that there was more to life than 121st and Eggleston. That’s the block I grew up on located on the South-Side of Chicago. I knew that there was more to life than Chicago; that way beyond my block, my city, there was this whole other world waiting to be explored. I was determined not to be one of those people who never left the block. Sometimes we get content, or we get complacent in life, and we dare journey beyond things that are familiar to us. We are often too scared to take that “leap of faith.”

My husband’s journey to Iraq was one I didn’t want him to take, but one I now clearly see that he was destined to take. During one of our most recent conversations, I could tell that his journey to that part of the world had given him a broader prospective of life, even in such a short period of time. In the past, I would talk to him about wanting us to go to various parts of the world such as Africa and Italy and my husband responds was always “if the military don’t take me there, than I’m not going.” Now, he seems to be more open to journeying beyond things that are familiar to him. He now wants to see the country of Germany and he just seems to have truly realized that there is a world that exists way beyond the block that he grew up on in Jacksonville, Florida.

So my sistas, don’t be afraid to journey into new territory, don’t be afraid to take that “leap of faith,” and don’t be afraid to journey beyond your block or your city, there’s so much more to life.

No comments: