Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Syleena Johnson


“Chapter 4: Labor Pains,” by music sensation Syleena Johnson is available in stores now. Syleena Johnson interviewed with “A Word For My Sistas” last year. The following is a snippet from that interview.

Onetta: “Chapter 4: Labor Pains,” is your next album set to be released soon. What are you most proud of about this album?

Syleena Johnson: First is the fact that we were able to get it done. I am also proud that I wrote all of the songs except for a remake that I did of one of my father, Syl Johnson songs, “Is It Because I’m Black.”

Onetta: The music industry is a tough business to maneuver through. What has been the greatest obstacle you have had to overcome as an artist?

Syleena Johnson: I would have to say exposure and support. I do not think that I got that kind of support earlier in my career and now I am glad that I have my own label so all fingers point back at me if something is not going right.

Onetta: Angie Stone has a song with lyrics that says “I’m happy being me; I’m regretting nothing about me.” Have you reached the point in your life where you are happy and secure with who you are? You are able to love you attributes and embrace you flaws.

Syleena Johnson: It is funny that you asked that because I have a song on my upcoming album called “Be Me” and I really am happy with who I am. As an artist I have gone through some things and have felt some pressure to kind of fit a mold. Those days are over and now I can be the Syleena Johnson that I want to be.

No comments: